Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.4.8 AD member ads / nss fails to find group id

You are trying to do your user mapping in the wrong direction.

The nss backend was meant for the old way of doing things, when you
could have users in /etc/passwd and Samba. Nowadays you have all your
users in AD and make these into Unix users. The easiest way is to use
the 'rid' backend, but this will undoubtedly mean your Unix ID's will
change.
So, is the nss backend no longer supported?

I am dealing with an environment where most of the time users are using there existing Unix accounts across multiple Unix clients via NFS with several TB of data and associated backups all using their existing UIDs. I was hoping to do a quick switch-over to the new system with minimal disruption. Changing everyone's UID would involve a major disruption.

Thanks,
David.