Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba 4.4.8 AD member ads / nss fails to find group id

Rowland,

Why are you using a winbind backend that maps Unix users to domain
users in an AD domain, when you should be making your AD users into
Unix users with a backend like the 'rid' or 'ad' ones.

As for your problem, is winbind running ?

Yes, winbind is running.

Thanks for getting me to reconsider that 'rid' or 'ad' backends, but I don't think they work in my situation

I have been using the nss backend because:

- On the server that I am setting up Samba, I have existing Unix users with existing uids and associated data on the file server
- There is no usable uid information on the AD.
- I have no permissions to modify the AD to set up user information.

I understood that the nss backend was intended for this situation.

It worked on another server set up the same way but running Samba 4.4.4.

Thanks,
David.