Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] SPN and case sensitivity on LMDB backend

Hi everyone,

samba-tool dbcheck  --reindex
Re-indexing...
../ldb_tdb/ldb_index.c:2352: duplicate attribute value in CN=WSTEST,OU=vm,OU=computers,OU=test,DC=ad,DC=test,DC=it for index on servicePrincipalName, duplicate of objectGUID 4c723426-73f8-4991-bf95-88eb57840c2c in @INDEX:SERVICEPRINCIPALNAME:TERMSRV/WSTEST.AD.TEST.IT

Looking at the computer entry, I indeed have thoses two SPN (notice the case of hostname).

servicePrincipalName: TERMSRV/WSTEST.ad.test.it
servicePrincipalName: TERMSRV/wstest.ad.test.it

Looking at documentation from Microsoft: "Service Principal Names (SPNs) are not case sensitive when used by Microsoft Windows-based computers. However, an SPN can be used by any type of computer system. Many of these computer systems, especially UNIX-based systems, are case-sensitive and require the proper case to function properly. Care should be taken to use the proper case particularly when an SPN can be used by a non-Windows-based computer."

So I don't know if it is the dbcheck or the SPN which is wrong. Those two SPN have been produced automatically by a Windows workstation. I don't know if it is the OS upgrade from the client (win7 to win10) or if it is the upgrade of Samba (4.8 TDB to 4.9 LMDB) that created this discrepancy, but it is there...

Cleaning up the SPN remove the dbcheck error. Should I fill a bugzilla entry for this?

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon