Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Switching from Bind to Internal DNS

Hello,

    Currently using Bind for DNS and it has worked without issues throughout several in place Samba upgrades. I'm starting to notice A records having a static designation vs. dynamic. Clients update their own A and PTR records. Sometimes deleting the records and having the client update the record again, will show as dynamic.

I also noticed periodically opening Microsoft DNS Manager will result in access denied when viewing DC's. Deleting the DC from the list and adding back resolves the issue.

I would like to switch to the internal DNS and immediately back to Bind to rule out any corruption or permission issue. Must I shutdown bind and migrate to the internal DNS first, or can I simply run "samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=SAMBA_INTERNAL" followed immediately with "samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ".

With all that said, 6 DC's, Samba 4.9.4, Bind 9.10.3 and all using Ubuntu 16.04.6. Thanks.

-James