Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Using Access Control Lists with SMB2/SMB3 Mounts on Linux Clients

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 04:51:21PM +0000, Kraus, Sebastian via samba wrote:
> Thanks for the first reply, Jeremy.
> What about the (future) implementation of RichACL?

Windows ACLs map quite well into RichACLs.

Unfortunately Christolph Hellwig has peristently
blocked any merge of the RichACLs code into the
Linux kernel.

If you use ZFS then you can use ZFSACLs which
are quivalent.

> Will there be any native Linux Client support along with the SMB2/SMB3 protocol?
> I know, there is a native implemenation for RichACLs in ext4 FS.
> Unfortunately, smbcals is not a native Linux ACL Tool and has a very unhandy syntax.
> I just tested some days ago. ;-)
> I am looking for a solution that allows the Linux Client to access the ACL via getfacl/setfacl, if
> anyhow possible.

Check out the latest cifsfs code. I think Steve
and Aurelian and Ronnie added an ioctl for this.

I'm here at Vault in Boston with Steve, I'll ask
him :-).