Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] UID provided by rid idmap is out of the range imposed in smb.cof

Hello,

I had a problem with Samba winbind id-mapping  on a system that is part of an AD domain.
In the smb.conf I have the following setting:

idmap config <domain> : backend = rid
idmap config <domain> : range = 1000000-3000000
idmap config <domain> : schema_mode = rfc2307

winbindd was failing to convert some user SID to UID and in the idmap logs I have the following error:

Requested id (7003151) out of range (1000000 - 3000000). Filtered!

I have fixed the issue by increasing the range to 1000000-10000000.
So it appears that depending on the user SID, the UID generated automatically by Samba rid could be out of the range imposed in smb.conf.
Is it a bug or I'm just misunderstanding?

Thanks
Andrea