Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:45:45PM +0100, Björn JACKE via samba wrote:
On 2019-02-25 at 11:32 +0000 Rowland Penny via samba sent off:
> (I take it xid stands for both uid and gid?)

No, I think it was chosen to differentiate them from uidNumber &
gidNumber attributes, they are similar but not the same. They also only
exist on DC's

in Windows the owner of a file can be a group.

In the unix world the main owner is always a user.

To reflect the fact that the owner can be a group also, winbind
can assign both a mapped uid number and a gid number for Windows
users and groups, both uid and gid have the same value and are the xid. That
way Samba can also assign the ownership of files to a group. The idmap backend
has to be able to support XID though, not all idmap backends do so.

in particular idmap_autorid, idmap_rid and idmap_script support this so called mode, idmap_ad doesn't.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/