Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 16:14:53 -0800
Alexey A Nikitin <nikitin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> On Friday, 22 February 2019 08:03:11 PST Rowland Penny via samba
> wrote:
> > You also shouldn't use winbind on the shadow line
>
> Perhaps a stupid question, but my google-fu doesn't seem to be good
> enough to find an answer myself: what is the exact expected mode of
> failure of including 'winbind' for 'shadow' in nsswitch.conf?
>
> I understand that Winbind doesn't implement 'shadow' database, and
> I've also seen reference somewhere in the docs to 'wbinfo' tool
> failing if that line is there, but I personally haven't observed any
> (consistent) wbinfo failures. It also appears that 'authconfig' tool
> in RHEL/CentOS puts 'winbind' in 'shadow' line in nsswitch.conf if
> you pass --enablewinbind flag to it, is my understanding correct that
> that's a bug?

You don't need to add 'winbind' to the shadow line mainly because it
isn't needed and as you have said, there have been reports of strange
things happening in wbinfo if it is added.

Just because red-hat adds it, doesn't me it is required, they also add a
lot of default lines to smb.conf.