Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

Hi Rowland,

On Friday, 22 February 2019 08:03:11 PST Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> You also shouldn't use winbind on the shadow line

Perhaps a stupid question, but my google-fu doesn't seem to be good enough to find an answer myself: what is the exact expected mode of failure of including 'winbind' for 'shadow' in nsswitch.conf?

I understand that Winbind doesn't implement 'shadow' database, and I've also seen reference somewhere in the docs to 'wbinfo' tool failing if that line is there, but I personally haven't observed any (consistent) wbinfo failures. It also appears that 'authconfig' tool in RHEL/CentOS puts 'winbind' in 'shadow' line in nsswitch.conf if you pass --enablewinbind flag to it, is my understanding correct that that's a bug?