Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbind causing huge timeouts/delays since 4.8

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 06:53:04PM +0000, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 19:25:14 +0100 >Ralph Böhme <slow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 24.02.2019 um 18:48 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I'm not really what "there" implies for you, but it seems
>> idmap_autorid is eventually the backend that takes you "there". :)
>
> No it doesn't, at the moment, the only way to get the same ID on all
> Unix machines (this includes DC's) is to use the 'ad' backend.

Sure. But only certain use cases require the same id on all machines,
many don't. I'm just saying that you should better not use idmap_ad,
but instead use eg idmap_autorid unless you're setup requires
idmap_ad.

I am not saying don't use autorid, I am saying that I will not use it,
I just do not see the point to it, the 'ad' and rid' backends work for
most users.

As said, idmap_ad is broken by design, so eg it also doesn't work with trusts. Most users should use idmap_autorid.

> You think autorid is the way forward, well sorry, but in my
> opinion, it isn't.

Rowland, this is not about *the* way forward, this is about using the
right backend at the right time.

No Ralph, it is about *the* way forward, Samba needs to get to the
point that it works exactly like Windows (or better), Samba has to
outdo Windows.

that's what I'm saying, to behave like Windows you have to stop using idmap_ad. :)

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/