Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba Won't start after upgrading Operating system

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 19:55:03 -0500
Robert Steinmetz via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I ungraded my Linux Operating system from Ubuntu 16.04 LTS to 8.04 LTS
>
> Samba will not start after an upgrade to 18.04. My samba is running
> as an NT style member server server with smbd nmbd and winbindd all
> running. None of them will start.
>
> It worked this morning.
>
> This morning it was running Version 4.3.11-Ubuntu
>
> This afternoon after the upgrade it's Version 4.7.6-Ubuntu
>
> The logs in /var/spool/samba are empty.
>

> root@louise:/var/log/samba# systemctl start smbd
> Job for smbd.service failed because the control process exited with
> error code.
> See "systemctl status smbd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
> root@louise:/var/log/samba# systemctl status smbd
>

>   smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
>     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; enabled; vendor
> preset: ena
>     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2019-02-23 18:01:35
> EST; 20s ago
>       Docs: man:smbd(8)
>             man:samba(7)
>             man:smb.conf(5)
>    Process: 4594 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smbd --foreground
> --no-process-group $SMBDOP
>   Main PID: 4594 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
> Feb 23 18:01:35 louise systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
> Feb 23 18:01:35 louise systemd[1]: smbd.service: Main process exited,
> code=exite
> Feb 23 18:01:35 louise systemd[1]: smbd.service: Failed with result
> 'exit-code'.
> Feb 23 18:01:35 louise systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.
> lines 1-13/13 (END)
>
> The information on all three processes is virtually identical.
>
> testparm gives a few warnings but it's been doing that for a while
> with no apparent problem See below.
>
> root@louise:/var/log/samba# testparm
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit
> (16384) WARNING: The "idmap uid" option is deprecated
> WARNING: The "idmap gid" option is deprecated
> handle_name_resolve_order: WARNING: Ignoring invalid list value
> 'hosts' for parameter 'name resolve order'
> Error loading services.
>
> I've found a number of posts with similar problems but none seem
> directly on point.

The value for 'name resolv order' is 'host' not 'hosts', if this
doesn't fix it, please post your smb.conf.

You really should start planning to upgrade to AD, Microsoft has
already broken NT4-style domains by accident and they have no reason to
even consider them whilst writing code, because they dropped them 10
years ago.