Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] 32 seconds vs 72 minutes -- expected performance difference?

> Am 08.02.2019 um 14:26 schrieb Saurabh Nanda via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
> ## QUESTION
>
> I am sharing a 120GB folder with lots of files via Samba on a LAN (1Gbps
> connection).
>
> 1) Doing an `ls -lR` on the server (on this folder) takes ~32 seconds,
> compared with **72 minutes** on the client. Is this difference in
> performance expected (due to network and protocol overhead)?
>
> 2) While the client is executing an `ls -lR`, one smbd process on the
> server uses about 30-40% of a single CPU (on an 4c/8t machine). Is this
> much CPU load expected? (Also, the client ends up consuming all 1Gbps of
> network bandwidth).
>
> Is samba transferring all the files from the server to the client for this
> operation?

Hi,

I’v been faced with similar situations ion the past - „lots“ of small files on a network share like SMB/NFS. Beside the software configuration a major topic for me was in most cases the storage type hosting the files. E.g. Raid-level and spinning Disk vrs. SSD.

So, what kind of storage you use?

	Regards . Götz