Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbind offline logon

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 08:24:53 +0100
Piviul via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 18/02/19 19:12, Rowland Penny ha scritto:
> > [...]
> > Then do things, stop trying to use winbind, use nslcd instead.
> >
> > Then start planning to update to a Samba AD domain, before it is too
> > late.
> Hi Rowland, I'm sorry but I'm not the one can decide to upgrade to
> samba4 the domain controller, and I'm not the one that administer the
> domain controller. I would like but I can't.
>
> Furthermore, in my opinion, until the developers of samba decide to
> support samba3 and winbind, bugs have to be reported and hopefully
> solved and the solution of these bugs is not to don't use them... in
> my opinion.
>
> Have a great day
>
> Piviul

I have suggested that we deprecate the NT4-style domains, but one of
the other Samba team members wants to keep them. I find this strange
for several reasons, smbldap-tools is dead and no longer maintained,
Microsoft keeps breaking them and the client code hasn't really worked
for some time now. The vast majority of the Samba effort is aimed
squarely at AD domains, trying to get somebody to fix your problem is
going to take some time, especially as it works with AD.