Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Password change **apparently** failing in Windows 10 with 4.7.1

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:08:46 +0100
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Mandi! Nick Howitt via samba
   In chel di` si favelave...

Could be that:

unix password sync = Yes
Add a little delay, that ''confuse'' win10 box?

I doubt it, it is probably another artefact of the 'Windows doesn't
care about NT4-style domain' syndrome.

Microsoft EOL'ed NT domains over 10 years ago, so they just don't
think about keeping them working whilst writing code.

I do not think this is a Samba problem, the password gets changed and
can be used to log into the server, so it works from the Samba
perspective, it falls over on the Win10 computer. This, to me, points
to a Windows problem.

I have said it before and I will probably have to say it again, if
you run an NT4-style domain, upgrade to an AD domain as soon as
possible.

The problem for the OP is (if I am correct), he will have to change his
OS as well ('CLEARSYSTEM' possibly means CLEAROS).
It even works on Windows, only Windows initially says failed. Yes it is ClearOS and I am pushing for the system to transition over to AD. I have a working model with docker but for a query on nmbd bindings which is no one has so far been able to give me a working answer, but it may not matter.

I think the reluctance of going the whole hog and using Samba AD as the primary instance of samba is that ClearOS does quite a lot around unix style sharing rather than Windows ACL's and that transition may be a bit messy. Therefore they want to run Samba AD in docker and have the primary instance of samba with its unix-style sharing join to it. They want a one box solution.

Other distros have managed AD as the primary (only) samba instance so it must be possible, but I don't know what would break.

Nick