Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] 32 seconds vs 72 minutes -- expected performance difference?

> (Also, the client ends up consuming all 1Gbps of network bandwidth).
>>

> This statement is grossly incorrect. The client is not consuming 1Gbps,
> but 1MBps -- I'm confused between bits per second and bytes per second, it
> seems.
>
> I am replicating the scenario with NFS to see if it's an issue with Samba,
> or something to do with the underlying network stack.

Here's NFS vs Samba:

## Samba - Uses about 1MBps throughout

real    87m9.739s
user    2m9.222s
sys     17m21.828s

## NFS - Uses about 1.5-2.0 MBps throughout

real    34m3.902s
user    0m55.798s
sys     6m36.227s

I now have no clue what is going on. Are the **number** of files and
directories so large that this is kind-of expected?

-- Saurabh.