Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] 32 seconds vs 72 minutes -- expected performance difference?

On 16/02/2019 02:43, Saurabh Nanda via samba wrote:
2) Is this normal -- fs/cifs/smb2misc.c: Calculated size 157 length 156
mismatch mid 11907
Could be a bug or miscalculated length + non critical warning, I also
see this on master kernel. Either way I doubt it's slowing everything down.

Should I file a bug for this?

## OPERATION 1 -  `ls debug.log` -- simply listing a single file. Does
anything seem wrong with this?
This is going to be disapointing but we don't see the error that gets
added in the stats in this log extract. Have you checked your samba logs
as well? There might be useful information in there (might have to
increase "log level" in smb.conf, it can go up to 10 but that will
generate a *lot* of data).

If you still don't want to share the network capture you should at least
try to open it yourself in wireshark, it would save everyone time.

I tried looking at the network capture using `tcpdump -A -X` but wasn't
able to understand anything. I tried installing wireshark on a throwaway
cloud instance, but realised that it's a GUI program. Can you please help
be with the network trace at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8cn0qggrvmrpc3/dump.pcap?dl=0 ? It's capturing
the network chatter for ~1min of `ls -lR` on the shared folder. Does this
help in getting to the bottom of this problem?

Also, please attach files or disable word-wrapping when you send logs in
the future.

Ah - I thought most mailing lists scrub attachments.

-- Saurabh.
This is a complete lateral jump. In the El/Centos line of distros I've seen a lot of issues caused by using the r8169 driver on RTL8111/8168/8411 cards including things like DNS failures and network slowdowns and other more exotic issues. The card performs better (in EL/Centos) with the r8168 driver which does not come built into the kernel, unless Ubuntu has unified the two drivers under the r8169 banner. You can do a quick check with:
lspci -k | grep Eth -A 3

Please ignore this post if it is totally irrelevant.

Nick