Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Samba switches between domain controllers

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 10:00:12 +0100
LOKO MESO Michel <mmeso@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you for your response.
>
> My server (debian) is joined to an AD and I'm trying to understand
> how the communication between the two servers works.
>
> Does winbind check  the response time of the DCs before switching to
> the  fastest ? Is it possible to specify which DC must be used by
> winbind when joining the domain and to make sure that it does'nt
> switch ?

For joining another DC, you can add '--server=SERVER_TO_USE' to the
join command. You can also use the same switch with the 'net ads join'
command used to join a Unix domain member. I also believe you can
specify which DC to use when joining a Windows machine.

I don't believe you can make a domain joined computer use a particular
DC and there is no reason to do so.

There is loads of info available on the internet about how Active
Directory works, most of it written by a small firm called Microsoft ;-)