Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] Windows search equivalent on Samba?

In a pure Windows environment I'm helping manage, I recently had to set up full text indexing on a file share. Since it's not possible to actually index a file share from the client side, this has to be done on the server itself and in case of Windows Server, this is done using the Windows Search service. It's very easy to set up, too, just takes a few clicks.

And Samba? A quick search on Google finds a Suse slide set from the 2015 SambaXP where this feature was discussed and certain development seems to have happened but I couldn't find much after that, maybe someone here can offer a current insight.

So, does Samba today support a full text index, either natively or using third party tools, that's compatible with Windows Search? And can anyone comment on what kind of performance disadvantage we're speaking about when comparing full text on an indexed Windows file share and a non-indexed Samba share?

Viktor