Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] visibility of groups when multiple Samba servers use the same LDAP server

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 13:46:05 +0100
Matthias Leopold via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 12:30:51 +0100
Matthias Leopold via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

we are using a _single_ LDAP server as backend for _multiple_ Samba
standalone file servers (security=user). This LDAP server serves
mainly other purposes and access for Samba is read only so the
situation is not optimal but "it works for us". Still I don't
understand one phenomenon concerning visibility of LDAP groups.

The LDAP configuration in smb.conf for all our Samba servers is
basically like this (with each server having it's own branch for
"ldap group suffix", that's the point):

passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.domain.tld
ldap suffix = dc=domain,dc=tld
ldap user suffix = ou=people
ldap group suffix = ou=server01,ou=smb,ou=Groups

NSS uses LDAP via SSSD like this:

[domain/LDAP]
id_provider = ldap

ldap_uri = ldap://ldap.domain.tld
ldap_search_base = dc=domain,dc=tld

ldap_user_search_base = ou=People,dc=domain,dc=tld
ldap_group_search_base =
ou=server01,ou=smb,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=tld

The sambaDomainName is stored in an entry in LDAP path
ou=smb,dc=domain,dc=tld. Each server has it's own entry, but all
use the same SID.

This setup is not exactly pretty, but it "works". Still,
unexpectedly Samba on server01 sees groups in other branches than
"ou=server01,ou=smb,ou=Groups" (with "net groupmap list").

example:
- group is
cn=testgroup,ou=server02,ou=smb,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=tld
- on server01 this group is visible with "net groupmap list
ntgroup=testgroup"
- "getent group testgroup" does not work (as expected)
Why is this?

thx
matthias

You are going to have to give us more info ;-)
What OS's ?
What version(s) of Samba ?
Have there been any updates/upgrades to anything ?

Rowland

thx for quick reply.
Samba is 4.8.3 on CentOS 7.
LDAP server is IBM Tivoli Directory Server on AIX.
The situation has always been like this, upgrades didn't change
anything.

Matthias

It sounds like you are running Samba in much the same way as a PDC and
in a very old way, but I cannot be sure about this because you seem to
be refusing to post your smb.conf.

You posted:

Still, unexpectedly Samba on server01

To me, A native English speaking person, that sounds like your problem
had just started. I think you meant:

However, Samba on server01

If your NON_PDC PDC is set up correctly, 'getent group testgroup' would
work.

Rowland

Thanks for help.

I'm attaching the output of "testparm" for one of the servers.
Indeed I wanted to express "However, Samba on server01", I wasn't aware of this potential for misunderstanding, sorry. I don't know any recent SAMBA + LDAP documentation, I roughly follow https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_%26_LDAP and I did set up a PDC with smbldap-tools a long time ago, but I know that this is not a PDC right now. What are the differences for non PDC servers?

When I tell Samba + NSS to use LDAP branch 'ou=server01,ou=smb,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=tld' for group information I don't expect that group 'testgroup' in branch 'ou=server02,ou=smb,ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=tld' is found.

Matthias

[global]
	ldap admin dn = uid=ldapadmin,ou=services,dc=domain,dc=tld
	ldap group suffix = ou=group01,ou=smb,ou=Groups
	ldap suffix = dc=domain,dc=tld
	ldap user suffix = ou=people
	map to guest = Bad User
	passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ldap.domain.tld
	security = USER
	workgroup = SAMBA
	idmap config * : backend = tdb
	map acl inherit = Yes