Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] How to identify the operating system of a client?

Let me rephrase the question in hope for an answer:

Is it at all feasible to identify the operating system of a client?

Thanks,
Stephan

On 30.01.19 15:28, Stephan Roth via samba wrote:
My goal is to distinguish between Mac and Windows clients on a Samba server in order to provide shares with vfs_fruit only to Mac clients.

So I assumed using the variable substitution %a which contains the architecture of the remote machine would be the correct way forward. But as it turns out, a Windows 10 client is reported as having the architecture "OSX".

Short of agressively scanning a remote client with nmap, does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thanks!

- Stephan

I'm using Samba 4.5.12-Debian