Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] AD Backup Best Practice

A 10 user 10 PC Samba AD runs perfectly on a [pair of] Raspberry PI[s]. TCO of such a setup is not too significant.

On 10.02.2019 18:05, Viktor Trojanovic via samba wrote:
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 at 17:27, Georges Martin <jrjsmrtn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A good practice is to have at least 2 DCs in a domain.

Yes, I'm aware of that and I try to adhere where possible. However, I'm
supporting many smaller offices where 2 bare metal servers just wouldn't be
acceptable in terms of TCO but an AD is still appreciated. So at the most I
could virtualize a second DC but that wouldn't help much if the hardware
gave up. My clients would accept the downtime in case of a disaster but
proper backups are vital. And ideally the recovery shouldn't be as costly
as a new server ;-)