Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Add linux group to windows AD group

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 20:22:36 +0100
Mark Amundsen via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a fileserver running samba 4.9.4 that is a member in an AD.
> The backup tool I am using is running as a linux user that is a
> member of linux group 'disk'. I'd like to add the group disk to a
> windows AD group 'backup' which have read access to the share. I am
> thinking that it is easier to manage the share from one point and
> that being the windows tool. I have only found a way to do the
> opposite. Is it possible or is my approach wrong? If so, how should I
> do it? -Mark-

A 'local' Linux is just that, a local user, it is not a part of AD, so
it cannot be used in AD, the same goes for groups.

You could create the user in AD and then make this user a Linux user as
well, but you will have to delete the local Linux user.

You should then be able to add you AD Linux user to the local Linux
group.