Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Inconsistent DNS after crash

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 16:33:16 +0100
basti via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17.01.19 16:22, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > Rule 1, if you have another running DC, do not recover a DC from a
> > backup.
>
> I see. I have recover the backup a second time in a test env without
> network. Now it look like OK.
>
> my plan:
>
> 1. shutdown dc2
> 2. start dc1 with network
>
> 3. and now ??? can I already start dc2?
>
> Or should I start it without network and delete all DNS entries?
> I think when I Update/Add or delete a DNS entry on dc1 before I start
> dc2 the soa serial should be increase
>
> What you opinion Rowland?

The problem with backups is, they quickly become old. If you apply a
backup to a DC, it will become the DC at the time the backup was taken,
if you now start this up in a domain with another DC in it, the two DCs
will not be in sync, at this point, I think replication hell will set
in.

If DC2 is working okay, then leave it alone, demote DC1 and start again
by joining a new DC.

You should only use backups as a last resort and then only to restore
one DC, which you should then seize all the FSMO roles to, and then
join other new DCs to this.