Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Running off pre-created keytabs

Am 2019-01-10 um 17:02 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 16:23:06 +0100
"Osipov, Michael via samba" <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi folks,

we'd like to provision new Samba servers (file sharing only) with the
system keytab. It will precreated by some other process (msktutil)
because we don't have direct access to a domain admin account. Is
there any degragation in functionality by not using "secrets and
keytab" and not doing "net ads join"?

This is somewhat similiar to my question from 2017-11 [1] where I
wanted to do "net ads join" with precreated accounts, but haven't
really found a usable solution.

Michael

[1] https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2017-November/211945.html

There is an interesting fact, if you add:

     kerberos method = secrets and keytab

to smb.conf and then join the domain with:

net ads join -U Administrator (or another user capable of joining
machines)

You will get the computers account created in AD and the keytab
created, so why do you feel the need to precreate the machines in AD
and use an extra package to join the domain ?

As depicted, this still requires an admin to be present at the box. I have to constantly beg people with that kind of permission to do a session with us to kinit and then join servers or create SPNs which do not match the FQDN. If the account can be precreated one can do this asynchronously and I'd remove the dependency on relying on specific people.

While it sounds for you trivial to have an admin account, in our huge new forest (Siemens and MS claim it to be the largest one on the planet) it is very strict about permissions after severe incident in the last forest. It took us weeks to find someone who is willing to join our servers once in a while. I guess this can be/is the case in many large companies. Morover, I will request a server which shall precreate machine accounts. This will make us independent from humans, but Samba won't play well with that. At last, if the colleague is on sick leave or else and we have to reset the account for whatsoever reason, we are bust!

Regards,

Michael