Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] mixed versions, mixed UIDs

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 10:26:17 -0500
Steve Hideg via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Okay, so I've now read 'man idmap_rid'.
>
> It states that the use of the base_rid parameter is deprecated, so
> does that change ID formula to this?
>
> ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID
>
> Assuming that the default value for the now-deprecated base_rid is 0.
>
> Following the example on the man page, I am going to try this:
>
> idmap config * : backend = tdb
> idmap config * :range = 1000000-1999999
>
> idmap config ADSMC : backend = rid
> idmap config ADSMC:range = 1500-500000
>
> Will this work to keep IDs aligned across new and old systems (without
> changing the old systems)?

Your problem started when someone set the base_rid to 500. There were a
lot of things done back then, that are not thought to be a good idea
now. You will just have to live with it, but 'deprecated' does not mean
'you cannot use this', just set base_rid as on your old computers and
your problem will go away.