Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] [Oddity] SAMAccountName and 20+ chars logins...

Hai Marco,

What i did mean.
You can have 255 chars in total with these limitation's

Windows NT 4.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, and LAN Manager  : 20 =  sAMAccountName
Windows 2000 and up : 256 chars  = sAMAccountName@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   ( full distinguished name )

The SAM-Account-Name attribute (also known as the pre?Windows 2000 user logon name) is limited to 256 characters in the Active Directory schema.
However, for backward compatibility the limit is 20 characters

So only if you have very old systems and must use lower then 21 characters or you might hit problems.
Newer systems can handle the 20+ chars without problem, but limited to 256.

Now on the ldapsearch, use what you want to use, just choose something that is indexed if you need the speed search.
But now tell use what is your goal with the ldapsearch, because you can use ldapsearch just as on a normal ldap server.

Greetz,

Louis