Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] DNS (Bind )update via external DHCP ISC

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:55:59 +0530
Biswajit Banerjee via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I have Samba4 AD ( V4.8 )environment with Bind 9 on the same server
and want to have DNS updated from the DHCP ISC server( External) . As
we see the the host records and reverse records do not get updated
dynamically on the Bind / DNS . Is it not the functionality to have
DNS updated as soon as clients log in .

If not , then probably we have to follow
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
to get it done . correct me if am wrong ?
If you have any Unix clients (other than the DC which will have a fixed
ipaddress) then they will not be able to update their records in AD,
Windows clients can.

I have only windows client still i cannot see there updated records in DNS

What can be reason .

This document talks about DHCP ISc  on the same server , can we some
one help me to have it deployed with external DHCP server .
Well, that is how I run it, but it should work when run on another
computer, provided that the computer is in the same dns domain, it
would also have to be a Unix domain member. You will have to modify the
script, find the lines 'server 127.0.0.1' and change '127.0.0.1' to
your DC's ipaddress.

In case of pure windows environment do you think this is required ?

TIA