Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] How to change the server info/version which Samba returns to the client?

On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 16:40:13 +0100
Dmitry Katsubo via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2018-12-21 12:29, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > That's because you are mixing up 'Server' and 'server string'
> > The 'Server' is the Samba version and 'server string' is something
> > to identify the computer, see 'man smb.conf' for more details.
>
> Thanks for this hint. I've tried to locate any other "server"-related
> option in man smb.conf, but I failed. Could you please tell the exact
> option which I should use?
>
> Many thanks in advance!

I obviously wasn't clear enough ;-)

The 'Server' from here:

Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.2.14-Debian]

Comes from the servers Samba version, you cannot change this.

The 'server string' parameter controls what is shown in browse lists
etc. This can be changed, but Samba will need to be restarted/reload
after the change and a new connection will need to be made to the
server.