Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] How to change the server info/version which Samba returns to the client?

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:31:51 +0100
Dmitry Katsubo via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Samba team,
>
> I would like to change the server info string which Samba returns to
> the client.
> I tried to change the "server string" setting in /etc/samba/smb.conf:
>
> [global]
>     server string = Master
>
> # testparm | grep "server string"
>          server string = Master
>
> # /etc/init.d/samba restart
>
> but the server still returns the string "Samba 4.2.14-Debian":
>
> $ smbclient //localhost/home -U guest%guest -c ls
> Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 6.1] Server=[Samba 4.2.14-Debian]
>    .                                   D        0  Mon Dec 17
> 00:01:54 2018
>    ..                                  D        0  Mon Jan 29
> 20:20:52 2018
>
> It looks like "server string" setting has no effect or I am changing
> the wrong
> setting.

That's because you are mixing up 'Server' and 'server string'
The 'Server' is the Samba version and 'server string' is something to
identify the computer, see 'man smb.conf' for more details.

Also, Samba 4.2.x is EOL, you should, if possible, upgrade.