Re: [Samba] Samba 4 with Microsoft Exchange
- Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 15:54:26 +0000
- From: LORANG Geert via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Samba] Samba 4 with Microsoft Exchange
On 10/12/2018 11:48, Gaetan SLONGO via samba wrote:
> We would like to know if recent developments and improvements allow to use a Microsoft Exchange infrastructure with Samba 4 as an Active Directory Controller ?
> Any informations about it ?
I've done some tests / research few months back on this but we've
abandoned this path as it's definitely not production ready.
Some notes I can share from testing Exchange 2013 / 2016 against Samba
- You need some ldbedit hacking to get past the OS check Exchange setup
performs in the beginning (e.g. operatingSystem: Samba -> Windows,
operatingSystemVersion -> 6.1 (7601)))
- Any CU update from 2013 or Exchange 2016 does not work because the
schema extensions for possSuperiors/authOrig attributes do not cooperate
well with Samba
- RC1 of Exchange 2013 against Samba 4.6.5 can actually do all schema
extension successfully but then we got stuck at the Mailbox Role
Installation / EAC not fully functional.
After that we gave up.
On the other hand, I can tell you that Azure AD Connect works really
well with Samba against Office 365.
In this scenario you just sync your (Samba) AD users to a new AD setup
by Microsoft in Azure and you can run Exchange / Office 365 against the
the ADDC in the cloud.
you can setup a free trial for 30 days. I believe you can extend it to
90 days via the portal afterwards.
Hope this helps;
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the