Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] vfs_fruit causes delay in listing directories for Windows clients

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 04:37:43PM +0100, Ralph Böhme via samba wrote:
On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 03:35:00PM +0100, Stephan Roth via samba wrote:
My goal with activating vfs_fruit was to speed up directory listings for Mac clients, which works. Can the accompanying slowdown for Windows clients be avoided?

yeah, I guess so, but somebody has to dig through the relevant codepaths for a few days to implement the optimisations.

thinking about it, most codepaths already do avoid special processing if not in AAPL mode or when not operating on a stream.

There's one exception however: fetching the file creation date from Netatalk metadata when in "fruit:metadata = netatalk" mode which is the default.

"fruit:metadata = stream" would get rid of this. Check your setup carefully to decide which mode you need.

-slow

--
Ralph Boehme, Samba Team                https://samba.org/
Samba Developer, SerNet GmbH   https://sernet.de/en/samba/