Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] RHEL7/Centos7 with Samba AD

Hi All,

I know RHEL has bad press here but I'd like to share a different opinion (works for me) and maybe share some of my settings.
BTW, Those views are my own, not those of my employer.

I run a small AD at home. The setup is as follows:
- two AD DCs (RHEL7.6 KVM virtual machines + Samba 4.8.7 rpms based on SPECs from TranquilIT/Fedora).
- several Win10 laptops joined to the domain.
- several RHEL7.6 clients/Machines running 'realmd' and joined to the domain. The AD users can log into those machines and their Linux account gets mapped appropriately.

I set policies from a Win10 VM using RSAT and since there is a lot of litterature on the excellent Samba wiki and on the net, this wasn't too difficult for the Win* noob in me.

It's been running great so far but because I'm rebuilding the rpms myself and actually using 'realmd' I feel a little like I am in uncharted territory. At least, the RHEL7 part is familiar to me. :)

First, I needed to make a few changes to the client Linux systems: a slightly modified krb5 client config and a custom sssd config once they were joined ('realm join ...') to the AD domain.

The most important part was that the RHEL7 hosts wouldn't be heavily modified, except for the two AD DCs which run a custom build of Samba, of course.

For sssd, I used the following (customized file):
[sssd]
domains = ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
config_file_version = 2
services = nss, pam, pac

[domain/ad.lasthome.solace.krynn]
id_provider = ad
auth_provider = ad
access_provider = ad
chpass_provider = ad

ad_gpo_access_control = disabled
override_gid = 100

ad_domain = ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
krb5_realm = AD.LASTHOME.SOLACE.KRYNN
realmd_tags = manages-system joined-with-samba

#
cache_credentials = True
krb5_store_password_if_offline = True
ldap_id_mapping = False
use_fully_qualified_names = False
default_shell = /bin/bash
fallback_homedir = /export/home/%u@%d
ldap_referrals = False
ignore_group_members = True

[nss]

[pam]

For realmd, it was only a matter of following the documentation, which resulted in
# realm join --automatic-id-mapping=no ad.lasthome.solace.krynn -U administrator
[...]
# realm list
ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
  type: kerberos
  realm-name: AD.LASTHOME.SOLACE.KRYNN
  domain-name: ad.lasthome.solace.krynn
  configured: kerberos-member
  server-software: active-directory
  client-software: sssd
  required-package: oddjob
  required-package: oddjob-mkhomedir
  required-package: sssd
  required-package: adcli
  required-package: samba-common-tools
  login-formats: %U
  login-policy: allow-realm-logins

So, IMHO RHEL7/Centos7 does just fine in a Samba AD/DC setup either as clients or DCs. I still have a few details to work out (how to move the Samba servers from local auth to AD auth, etc.. mostly because it's not my area of expertise) but it's been working fine for me so far.

The only area of concern on el7 is to find a -reliable- Samba RPM builder for el7. So far, I've tried:

- TranquilIT - https://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/Samba4
Their latest 4.8.x rpms are stuck on 4.8.5 and they don't provide source rpms unless you complain a lot.

- http://azzurro.ezplanet.net : Seems pretty much out of updates

- http://wing-net.ddo.jp/wing : Web page still up but I've been unable to pull down rpms from them for months.

Any non-inflamatory comments are welcome! :)

Vincent