Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] UID size, samba and kernel version

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 13:09:49 +0100
Emmanuel Florac via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I found that machines running CentOS 6.6, kernel 2.6.32 and Samba 4.4
> maps UID to values under 16 bits  for instance:
>
> uid=12112(john) gid=100(users) groups=10102(DomainUsers)
>
> however other systems parts of the same AD but running CentOS 7
> (kernel 3.10 and Samba 4.7) use different, much larger IDs, for
> instance:
>
> uid=10499212112(john) gid=100(users) groups=10102(DomainUsers)
>
> But with a similar "ending". Is it due to the kernel or the Samba
> release?
>
> Thanks,

Without seeing your smb.conf files it is a bit hard to say what is
causing this, what I can say is, it probably isn't Samba.

Samba, using winbind, usually uses either the 'ad' or 'rid' backends,
the 'ad' (if set up correctly) backend obtains the ID's from AD, so they
should be the same everywhere and the 'rid' backend calculates the ID's
from the Windows RID's, so they will be the same.