Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgraded to 4.8 - forced to use winbindd - retro how to missing?

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 19:05:59 -0500
Richard Bollinger via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We recently upgraded a test server to samba-4.8.3.... but wonder how
> to reproduce the legacy behavior with winbind now forced into the
> picture for better or worse.
>
> We specifically do not want any of the whiz-bang capabilities of
> winbind, just the old familiar mapping of windows usernames to unix
> usernames.

I have replied to you over on on the Samba technical mailing list, but
what do you mean by 'the old familiar mapping of windows usernames to
unix usernames', what about UID's & GID's ?

> It seems not sufficient to omit winbind settings in smb.conf; i.e.,
> the defaults force the "new and improved" behavior.

No, it forces the correct Samba behaviour.