Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] change IP of AD DC

On 10/25/18 4:24 PM, Christian via samba wrote:
On 25.10.2018 17:11, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 17:00:19 +0200
Christian via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 25.10.2018 15:41, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 15:31:44 +0200
Christian via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear list,

I had to change the name of the AD DC on a test setup (only one
DC). What changes do I have to apply for samba? This is using
bind9_DLZ. Thanks,

Christian

If you are talking a test Samba AD DC, then the easiest thing to do
is to provision again, if something else, please provide more info.

Rowland

OK, then let's say it is not a test setup. How do I proceed? I assume
there are some of the SRV records to change etc... Thanks,

Christian

Whilst 4.9.0 came with the new rename tool, it isn't fully working and
isn't recommended for use on production.

If you really need to change a DC's name, then you need to setup a new
computer with the required name, join this to the domain and then
demote and remove the original DC. To put it another way, you cannot
change a DC's name etc (yet).

Rowland

Oh, I realize I made a mistake in the text of the message, while the
subject is correct. Apologies. I do not need to change the name, but the
IP address of the only DC. Sorry for the noise,

For single domains configurations, you don't require to demote and rejoin, Use samba_dnsupdate tool. More details at https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Changing_the_IP_Address_of_a_Samba_AD_DC

Note: I have used that tool successfully on single domain environments and using internal DNS

Christian