Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] same netbios aliases on multiple servers

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:39:32 +0500
Шигапов Денис Вильданович via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Can I set the same netbios name on multiple servers?

No, except on ctdb

> more precisely why it does not work?

Because the netbios name is also the Samba servers short hostname and
you cannot have two computers with the same name.

> server A
>
> [global]
>    netbios name = FS1
>    netbios aliases = fs fs.example.ru
>
> server B
>
> [global]
>    netbios name = FS2
>    netbios aliases = fs fs.example.ru

Having said all that, you do have different netbios names (I do hope
the two machines are called fs1 & fs2) and you don't actually need to
set it in smb.conf, Samba will do it for you.

You are trying to set the same 'netbios aliases' on both Samba
servers and, for the same reasons as the 'netbios name', this is not
allowed.