Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] how to use for example Domain Users of samba using chown chgrp

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 22:27:22 +0300
nikos sarantopoulos via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i am using chgrp and chown to change ownership from centos command
> line of paths for example domain users to use it in chgrp bur it is
> telling me the error that no such group exist.
>
> what i must do to be able to use samba users and groups from command
> line using chown and chgrp
>
> thank you

The problem is the space between 'domain' and 'users', Linux thinks it
is two separate entities, you need to escape the space with '\' or use
quotes, single or double.

Examples:

chgrp 'Domain Users'
chgrp "Domain Users"
chgrp Domain\ Users

It will probably also work if everything is in lowercase:

chgrp domain\ users