Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Rename domain

*Philippe MALADJIAN
Responsable informatique | administrateur système*
Ligne directe : +33 (0)4 72 14 50 66 | pmaladjian@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pmaladjian@xxxxxxxxxx>

Le 03/10/2018 à 17:29, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:54:02 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

*Philippe MALADJIAN
Responsable informatique | administrateur système*
Ligne directe : +33 (0)4 72 14 50 66 | pmaladjian@xxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:pmaladjian@xxxxxxxxxx>

Le 03/10/2018 à 16:33, Rowland Penny via samba a écrit :
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:01:33 +0200
Philippe Maladjian via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, I realize the preparation of the migration from samba 3 to
samba 4. For the moment the test platform is functional at 80%.

I realize a problem. At the implementation of samba 3 in NT mode
(more than 10 years ago) I chose netbios name dom.masociete and the
same DNS domain name.
Even then, a dot in a workgroup name wasn't recommended.
That's what I notice from reading but there are 10 I was a beginner ;)
With the migration the domain dns becomes "dom"
and according to my first researches I will quickly encounter
problems if I need subdomain in the future. The ideal would be
that I rename my domain in mycompany.local
No, the ideal would be to use virtually anything but '.local'
masociete.lan?

knowing that our Internet domain
name is mycompany.fr but it is not us who manage it.

I saw that with the arrival of the 4.9.x it is possible to rename a
domain, but is it feasible in my case? If yes, once the domain is
renamed, will I have to go out and add the existing machines in the
domain?
This is so new, I am not sure, but I believe it would, you will have
to change the DNS domain on all the machines, unless it is set by
DHCP.

It might just be easier and better to set up a new domain ;-)
At dhcp level I have as configuration

----------

option domain-search code 119 = text;
option wpad code 252 = text;
   option domain-name "dom.masociete";
option domain-search "\003dom\007masociete\000";
option wpad "\n";

-------------

but I do not see how dhcp could impose windows pc to use another
domain to connect?
I think you misunderstand what I was trying to say, If you change the
domain name, you also need to change the DNS domain, the REALM is the
same as the DNS domain, but in uppercase.
As I said, this is very new and I haven't had to use it yet, but, from
my understanding, if your dns domain is samdom.example.com and you
rename the domain, every instance of 'samdom', 'example' and 'com' will
get changed to match your new name.

Rowland
I fully understand the idea that the domain AD, DNS domain and REALM must be identical.

Our domain AD (NT mode) is dom.Company, the DNS that handles the internal resolution is dom.CompanyName and our Internet domain name is companyName.

During my migration tests with the same domain configuration the domain AD becomes dom, the DNS domain becomes dom and the REALM is DOM. This poses a problem of reading and logic.

The idea would be to put all this in order so that the domain AD is ad.nomsociete.fr, domain DNS ad.nomsociete.fr and REALM AD.NOMSOCIETE.

I understand that the function to rename a domain is too recent so is it possible to make a first migration of samba 3 to 4 with the original configuration and then to migrate a samba domain 4 to another domain samba 4?

When I add a machine to the domain I go through the machine's bone
and change the "Member of" setting as in this picture:
https://s10629.pcdn.co/wp-content/pictures/2009/11/joindomainwindows7.png

That is joining the domain, but if your clients get their DNS domain
via DHCP and you rename the domain, everything should match and you
probably wont have to rejoin, but I don't really know.

Rowland

Ok I will test this idea.

Philippe.