Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] getent not showing domain users and groups with winbind but works with sssd

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 19:28:29 +0200
Peter Milesson via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Louis and Rowland,

I'm just reporting back on this, in case it may help somebody else.

Getting a working getent (or id) under the current version of CentOS
with winbind just doesn't seems possible. I haven't got a clue where
the problem is. I have tried the suggestions, I did a clean
installation, and built Samba myself from source, but no way.
Installing sssd, a few lines of configuration, disabling winbind, and
it just works. I just want to stress, that the problems I have had
getting the Samba domain member to work, are most probably
CentOS-related.

Unfortunately, I must leave it at this point, as I have spent way too
much time already. At least I'm glad that I didn't upgrade the
production server directly, and instead spent time trying to get
things to work in the test environment. Otherwise there would have
been tar and feathers at noon today.

A sincere thank you for your time and suggestions.

OK, it is your decision (and I don't blame you for your choice) to use
sssd, but I feel I should point out that using wimbind does work on
Centos 7.1.

I had Centos 7 in a VM, so I started it, updated it and installed the
centos Samba packages (by the way, who thought that it was a good idea
to call 'winbind' 'samba-winbind' ?). Installed a copy of a known
working smb.conf from a Devuan machine. I should mention that the
Centos VM was previously running a compiled version Samba, so
most of the set up was already done (This set up was based on what I do
for Devuan).

And........

[root@cen1804 ~]# getent passwd rowland
rowland:*:10000:10000:Rowland Penny:/home/rowland:/bin/bash

[root@cen1804 ~]# getent group domain\ users
domain users:x:10000:......long list of users

There is undoubtedly something different between your setup and mine.

Rowland

Hi Rowland,

Now I'm bothering you with getent and winbind again.

I got winbind working. Sort of. It turned out to be that the libwbclient.so library wasn't registered with ld.so.conf.

What happens now is, that some users and groups are listed when I run getent. I guess that it may be due to some cache files still containing residue. Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Peter