Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Upgrade 4.8 to 4.9 with Backend-Change to lmdb?

Hi Rowland,

- Option 1: ( my personal choice, because this keeps thing in sight
)
- ( Domain Member settings and/or Stand-Alone installs )
- Configure smb.conf  ( make sure you have configured the idmap
settings. ) # - You must set a DOMAIN backend configuration, see
below idmap config * : backend = tdb
       idmap config * : range = 3000-7999

- Domain Member only setting, choose one of these 2, read and
choose. https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_ad
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_rid

I have always been configuring a tdb backend for builtin users aside
from the rfc2307 or rid backend for domain users (like in [1]). In
which documentation is it missing this piece of information?

I will turn that on its head ;-)

do as you please as long as it is constructive. :-)

If you read 'man idmap_tdb', you will find this:

 [global]
 # "backend = tdb" is redundant here since it is the default
 idmap config * : backend = tdb
 idmap config * : range = 1000000-2000000

Which means that you do not have to add the 'backend' line.

one more line for more clarity is not a hefty price to pay. One of the objective of a tutorial is to help the reader understand what he does!

Cheers,

Denis

[1]
https://dev.tranquil.it/wiki/SAMBA_-_Installation_d%27un_nouveau_serveur_de_fichiers_Samba4#Configuration_smb.conf

Your wiki page needs updating, all supported Samba versions now use a
slightly different 'ad' setup and I wish I knew who thought it was good
idea to recommend putting the '*' domain above the 'DOMAIN' domain.

Well, sorry to disappoint you but that wiki configuration does work with current Samba version. And it does not matter to have the "catchall" idmap configuration above or under the domain idmap configuration.

Cheers,

Denis

PS : by the way I am wondering what fantastic job you have that allows you to spend so much time on the mailing list :-) ? I'm sure doing Samba mailing list posting all day long does not "put butter in the spinach" (like we frogs say here) !

Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems
Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A
12 avenue Jules Verne