Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] DM: samba 4.5 -> 4.8, guest access and machine account access troubles.

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 14:48:15 +0200
Marco Gaiarin via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > > clearly, i've on [globals] 'map to guest = Bad User'.
> > That is how it is supposed to work, if a known user tries to use a
> > wrong password, the user is rejected. If the user is unknown, it is
> > mapped to the guest user (usually 'nobody') and allowed access to
> > shares where 'guest ok = yes' is set.
>
> Exactly. I restate, roughly the same config file on samba 4.5 permit
> correctly guest access from local Administrator user...

There is no 'local Administrator', the domain user Administrator is
mapped to the local user 'root'. So if the domain user 'Administrator'
has the password 'thispass' and maps to 'root', who has the password
'diffpass', then the user will be rejected because the user is known
(root) and the password is wrong (thispass).