Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Linux multiple member server

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 14:10:59 -0500
Robert Wooden via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When there are multiple (two in my case) member servers on the same
> domain, should the following be the same values across all member
> servers?
>
>     idmap config * : backend = tdb
>     idmap config * : range = 50001-80000   << same value on all member
> servers
>     idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid   << same value on all member
> servers
>     idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-40000   << same value on all
> member servers
>
> As I read the wiki pages, I believe I am understanding this correctly?

It wouldn't matter if there were 222 Unix domain members, as long as you
use exactly the same smb.conf on all of them, you will get the same
ID's on all of them (hint, do not set 'netbios name' in any of them).

I know most examples show setting the '*' domain above the 'DOMAIN',
but there is a problem with this, what happens when you get to (in your
case) user 50001 ??