Web lists-archives.com

[Samba] 4.6.16 on CentOS 6: network browsing doesn't work

I've got a Samba DC installation that doesn't show a browse list to any clients on the network, which means point-and-click navigation of the network doesn't work. File sharing works just fine, as does joining computers to the domain, login authentication, etc. It's just the ability to browse lists of other machines on the network that doesn't work: clients see nothing.

This serverfault question [1] purports to shed some light on the issue, and comparing output with another S4 site I have (4.0.7 (sorry) on CentOS 6) does give slightly odd results:

badsite% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbtree -N
(no output)

othersite% /usr/local/samba/bin/smbtree -N
WIND
        \\WIN7-7
        \\WIN7-5
        \\WIN7-2
        \\WIN7-1

the manpage on smbtree does suggest that it's related to "Network Neighbourhood"-style lists of machines, so I'm hoping this line of enquiry isn't insane. But I don't know where to go next in trying to work out why I see no other machines.

Any pointers would be most gratefully received.

--

  Tom Yates  -  http://www.teaparty.net

[1] https://serverfault.com/q/160396/55514