Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Network Meltdown after Samba 4.9.0 Upgrade

On 15/09/2018 10:04 pm, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
Regardless of if the config was right or not (I agree that the
setting in my case was wrong and unnecessary), this is a regression,
because it causes an unexpected and undocumented change in behaviour
compared to previous versions of the code.

I also wonder why network broadcasts don't seem to be rate limited by
Samba.  I can't imagine any valid use case where any application
would blast thousands of broadcasts per second out onto the wire,
regardless of the configuration or misconfiguration of the
application.

At the very least this needs a mention in the release notes,
especially given the potential this has to cause an outage.  Things
may have changed (and change is usually good), but the least that can
be done is people are given a one line heads up.

The problem is, it wasn't a know problem and we still don't know if it
is something that is just applicable to your network, so how how do you
warn people about something that you don't expect to happen. It is easy
to be wise after the fact ;-)

Indeed and understood. I'm happy to help debug this, it's easy for me to reproduce on demand here in my home environment.

Let me know what, if anything, I can do to help.

Thanks,
Reuben