Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Transfer samba to another machine

Andrew Bartlett via samba wrote 2018-09-06 17:33:
On Thu, 2018-09-06 at 11:50 +0200, Slim Ontario via samba wrote:
Hi,

I've a migrated samba-ad on my test-machine. Is it possible to
transfer the
samba directory (stored under /var/lib/samba) to another machine/my
productive system?
I would to these steps:
- install samba and dependencies on new host
- transfer my /var/lib/samba, /etc/krb5.conf and /etc/samba
- start samba service

Do I have other things to consider?

We generally prefer folks to join a new DC to the domain, transfer
roles, sync sysvol and then demote, as this allows you to try out the
new DC before the old one is gone.

However if you must, the above is OK if you keep the same 'netbios
name' and don't run both at the same time.

Is there a "dump/restore" method, instead of copying the Samba database files (which means I must stop Samba for the duration of copying)?

Better still is using Samba 4.9 to backup the old domain and restore it
again.

I am using Samba 4.7.6 on Ubuntu 18.04. AFAIK, Samba 4.9 isn't stable release yet (so I won't risk placing it into use outside a sandbox).

If there's convenient and portable way of dumping/loading Samba 4.7+ data, I would also appreciate mentioning it, immensely.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Konstantin