Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] Transfer samba to another machine

On Thu, 2018-09-06 at 11:50 +0200, Slim Ontario via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a migrated samba-ad on my test-machine. Is it possible to
> transfer the
> samba directory (stored under /var/lib/samba) to another machine/my
> productive system?
> I would to these steps:
> - install samba and dependencies on new host
> - transfer my /var/lib/samba, /etc/krb5.conf and /etc/samba
> - start samba service
>
> Do I have other things to consider?

We generally prefer folks to join a new DC to the domain, transfer
roles, sync sysvol and then demote, as this allows you to try out the
new DC before the old one is gone.

However if you must, the above is OK if you keep the same 'netbios
name' and don't run both at the same time.

Better still is using Samba 4.9 to backup the old domain and restore it
again.

Andrew Bartlett