Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

On Mon, 3 Sep 2018 17:19:02 +0200
Luca Olivetti via samba <samba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

El 3/9/18 a les 17:13, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:

Yes, but it depends on how you run Samba. If you run Samba as a
standalone server you only need to run 'smbd', but running 'nmbd' as
well would be a good idea.

If you run Samba as a PDC or BDC, the same as a standalone server
goes.

Anything else needs both smbd and winbind running.

It doesn't make sense:

1) why should I need to run smbd if I'm not providing cifs services
to other computers?

What are you using the computer for then, it surely isn't for
authentication, that is coming from the DC.

I run firewalls with only winbind active, and it surely is being used for Proxy NTLM authentication (as fallback from Kerberos). Luckily I have not experienced problems like the other ones posted in this thread.

2) why does winbindd work for many days even with smbd not running?
Shouldn't it just barf at startup or after a short wait if it really
needs smbd?

I am not saying winbind will not run by itself, it just really needs
'smbd' to be useful.

In any case I prefer my plaster instead of running a service that I
don't need and could open the server to several vulnerabilities.

Then put up with winbind dying on a regular basis.