Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

El 3/9/18 a les 17:19, Luca Olivetti via samba ha escrit:
El 3/9/18 a les 17:13, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:

Yes, but it depends on how you run Samba. If you run Samba as a
standalone server you only need to run 'smbd', but running 'nmbd' as
well would be a good idea.

If you run Samba as a PDC or BDC, the same as a standalone server goes.

Anything else needs both smbd and winbind running.

It doesn't make sense:

1) why should I need to run smbd if I'm not providing cifs services to other computers?

2) why does winbindd work for many days even with smbd not running? Shouldn't it just barf at startup or after a short wait if it really needs smbd?

In any case I prefer my plaster instead of running a service that I don't need and could open the server to several vulnerabilities.

The wiki agrees with the manpages:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Domain_Member#Starting_the_Services

"If you set up file shares or printer services on the domain member, *additionally* (emphasis mine) start the smbd and nmbd service"

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007