Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] running a (secondary) samba DC as docker container

On 09/03/2018 11:05 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
Am 03.09.18 um 15:12 schrieb Robert Marcano via samba:
On 09/03/2018 04:10 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:

As I am learning docker lately I came to the idea of using a docker
container as a "fallback" DC at sites where there is no budget (or
understanding) for a 2nd physical DC.

That 2nd DC *might* run as docker container alongside the
DM/fileserver, right? OK, it should get a separate IP, I assume etc

Aside from the details: does anyone here actually do that?

Greetings, I am running 3 domains on customer sites, inside containers.
There are a few tips:

1. Add a new dedicated IP to use by the container
2. Run the container with host networking
3. Run the container in privileged mode. It should probably run without
    this but some permissions may be needed to be granted, That is a big
    TODO for me.
4. On the container instance smb.conf, remember so set:
       interfaces = <public IP>
       bind interfaces only = Yes
5. I am using the internal DNS but it should work too with Bind.

I create my container instances this way (I use podman for simplicity,
but it works on docker too)

   podman create --privileged \
     --network host \
     -v /srv/samba/samba-ad/etc:/etc/samba:Z \
     -v /srv/samba/samba-ad/data:/var/lib/samba:Z \
     -v /srv/samba/samba-ad/log:/var/log/samba:Z \
     --hostname dc.example.com \
     --name samba-ad \
     --dns 127.0.0.1 \

Mounting these three volumes allow you to be able to recreate the
container at any time and reuse the important Samba persistent data

great, thanks! Which docker image do you use as base image?

Sent to you a copy of this email with an attachment of the Dockerfile needed to build the container image. There are two Dockerfile there, one for Fedora (extremely experimental Samba package there, don't use on production) and another one based on Debian 9 and L.P.H. van Belle's Samba 4.7 packages

The container has two entry points, "shell" so you can start the instance and do you configuration, and "start".

I plan to publish these containers, but they need a little more polishing, and test a few more configurations (like to use Bind)

That info seems to miss from your cut-and-paste ;-)