Web lists-archives.com

Re: [Samba] winbindd crashing -- how to auto-heal?

El 3/9/18 a les 17:05, Rowland Penny via samba ha escrit:

I didn't set this up, but I assume the sysadmins didn't run it because
they, like Luca, probably assumed that smbd was for server
functionality (to provide services to clients), whereas, AFAIK, our
hosts only act as clients. Could you explain how smbd fits into this
when the hosts are consuming remote services (but presumably not
providing any)?

I take it the 'sysadmins' are more used to administrating Windows, if
so, just ask them if they would turn SMB off on a Windows PC.

I'm not used to administering windows, but I routinely do that: I disable the "Sharing drives and printers to other computers" option, which is the same as not running smbd on a unix client.

Not really up to date with systemd (I do not use it), but I would
remove '--foreground --no-process-group', this would allow winbind to
run normally. I would also check the smbd service file, you need to
the Samba binaries as deamons.

Where does the documentation say so? What I found, by reading the man pages, is the reverse: smbd needs winbindd, winbindd doesn't need smbd.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007